Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chicken Pyramid, Chicken Countdown

Chicken Pyramid by Scott and Moira Johnson
Yes, I said Chicken Pyramid.  This is *not* an A-frame.  This pyramid hen house was built by my high genius husband who has no training in carpentry.  My daughter Moira was his dedicated helper, but I'm not ashamed to say Tessa and I hid out in the house after about a day and a half of working on this project.  
No Roosters!  Chicks only!
Of course I did come out to help paint the finished pyramid.

Moira's Sun with the door to the hen house propped open.

Roost and ladder to the nesting area.  I hope they can make it up top easily, or we may have to make a modification.
Egg tower

Two days left until chicken pick up.  The plan is to bring home 2 young hens at the Barberville Farm Swap.   I can't wait to have fresh eggs again.

All photos by Moira Johnson, age 8
I promise to post new chicken photos soon!  Could be Barred rocks, Rhode Island Reds, California Whites, or something else?  It really depends on what we find at the swap.  I've been watching to see what the Barberville area farmers have been posting on their swap Facebook page about what they are bringing to the swap on Saturday..  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ingenious. This is an awesome home for the new chickens. I am so happy for your family addition.