Thursday, October 4, 2012

Preserving Culinary Herbs in Salt



Preserving culinary herbs in salt is a great way to have fresh tasting herbs year round.  It is especially a good method for preserving herbs that reach their peak during a hot and humid time of year.  I have very poor luck trying to dry herbs during the warmer months.  I recently harvested all of my French Tarragon at it's peak.  It was simple to save it.  I just loosely packed a clean glass jar full of fresh picked Tarragon and added fine sea salt.  The salt dehydrates while leaving their flavors intact.  When I saw this photo of basil preserved on pinterest, I had to share it.

Do you preserve herbs in salt?  If so which are your favorites?

2 comments:

ChatterBlossom said...

I've actually never heard of this. Sounds easy enough and if it works, that is awesome!

CraveCute said...

I'd never heard of this either. Yes it is definitely worth a try!