Monday, April 25, 2011

Coming of Age Gift Ideas and Remedies for Young Women


This blog post is part of my Unique Women in Business Networking group's monthly blog hop. Our theme this month is Celebrating Womanhood. I'm really curious to read what the other ladies in the group have to say on this topic. You can find links to their blogs at the end of this post.

Celebrating womanhood to me is about celebrating the coming of age for pre-teen and teenage girls. Many traditional cultures have rituals or ceremonies for girls at coming of age. However you choose to honor a young woman at this stage her her life, you may wish to offer something practical for the physical and emotional changes she may be experiencing.

Warm heat can help to relax the uterus to prevent cramping pain. These flax and lavender wraps are great for relieving cramps when heated in the microwave.



No microwave? This warming pain relief balm is also great for reducing pain from cramping. Both of these are all natural pain relief methods that may help avert a cycle of Ibuproferin, Advil or Motrin use which can be hard on the Liver.

Another natural remedy I like for emotional issues around menstruation is Leonurus cardiaca AKA Motherwort. Motherwort is exceptionally helpful for balancing emotional issues in women such as anxiety or irritability, whether related to PMS or menopause. It also helps smooth the menstrual flow for uterine cramping. For heavy bleeding or pregnancy this herb should be avoided. This is a picture of one of my Motherwort plants from this winter season. It likes the Central Florida Winter Weather. I have been making Motherwort tincture with these plants and will have it available in the Extracts Section of my Etsy shop later this month. You can leave a comment below if you would like to be updated when my Motherwort tincture is ready.

14 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Great ideas and advice for young women coming of age! The products you featured from your shop all look like they would be very comforting and be well-received by any young lady who is need of relief from pain.

Ann
Harvest Moon by Hand

Nancy Pace Art said...

I knew your blog would be well thought out and pertinent to the subject,very nice offering,
Nancy

Celeste said...

I think our culture needs to do more in the way of coming of age ceremonies.

Your microwavable wraps look delightful!

Unknown said...

Nice touch!

I remember cramps... no fun at all, and though ibuprophen works wonders, a natural alternative is always preferable.

and, your heat wraps are So much more attractive than the old rubber-ball red, hot water bottles. ;)

Linda :)
http://capecodjewel.etsy.com
http://craftymakings.etsy.com
http://capecodjewel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/capecodjewel
http://twitter.com/capecodjewel

Honey from the Bee said...

I wish your products had been available when I was at my worse! Heat really does help and both of your solutions are much healthier than pills.

Anonymous said...

Great products! Great post! Have a great day!

Designer4u said...

Celebrating Womanhood is truly the Coming of a Age of Preteens an Teenagers . In this fast paced world, they really need to slow down an understand the changes in their body.

Unknown said...

I loved reading your blog! What great suggestions for the young women of the world!

Judy said...

Very interesting and informative! I'll have to show my daughter!

--Judy
WellspringCreations.US

Audrey said...

Love your post Cory and your products!
I saw something somewhere about dandylion greens and women's issues but I can't seem to find it again. I think it was something you posted?

Thank you,
Audrey
http://AudreyGardenLady.blogspot.com

Life Is A Lark said...

Love your blog and all of your products. Can't wait for the Motherwort tincture to be available since I think it will be good for both my teenage daughter and me!!

Pen and Paperie said...

I love the idea of celebrating the onset of womanhood...I didn't when it was me. These products are great - I would be curious about the motherwort extract when it is ready.
I have a friend who "got croned" at her 50th. It was a celebration and not dark at all like it sounds.

Robin said...

Interesting that the herb to help is named 'Motherwort'.

Aquarian Bath said...

It's ready! http://www.etsy.com/listing/74482638/motherwort-leonurus-cardiaca-tincture