Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Plant Moringa Trees for Hunger and Hope


Moringa oleifera is a nutritive fast-growing tree, which is native to India. I learned about this tree a couple of years ago from my friend Aminu Ibrahim from our SolarNetOne project at Katsina State University in Nigera. and I just had to try growing it. This tree has been shown to be capable of reducing malnutrition in areas of West Africa where 25% of children die of malnutrition or related diseases. This plant grows well in areas such as these with drought and poor soil, and it grows wild in many areas where hunger is a severe problem. Locally grown Moringa was used in Senegal to significantly reduce malnutrition in infants, nursing mothers and pregnant women in Senegal by adding a small amount of leaf powder to the diet. Moringa is exceptionally nutrient dense. It has the highest protein ratio of any known plant, and contains all essential amino acids (those that the body cannot synthesize). There are no known side effects to taking Moringa, and it is very easy to digest. 25 grams (0.88 oz) of dried Moringa provides the suggested daily requirements for children: 42% protein, 125% calcium, 60% magnesium, 41% potassium, 71% iron, 272% vitamin A, and 22% vitamin C.

Here is a video that I found about Moringa's use in Senegal.


I have been growing Moringa in Central Florida (USDA zone 9a) for the last two years. I purchased my seed from Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization (ECHO) in Fort Myers Florida. ECHO is a non profit whose mission is to network with community leaders in developing countries to seek hunger solutions for families growing food under difficult conditions. I was very happy that my Moringa trees survived the freeze we had over the winter. The Moringa tree pictured in this blog post is of my largest tree a couple of months after the freeze. New branches grew up from the base after the freeze killed the above-ground portion. I am told that this tree will grow very well from woody cuttings. I have also learned that this plant can be grown indoors if UV light is available. My brother has started a facebook group to promote growing and sharing about this plant. My next step with this plant will be to get trees started from seed or cutting at the Fair Share Garden in Daytona Beach. "Fair Share" is an Urban Garden Project of Salt of the Earth, Inc. a 501(c)-3 nonprofit organization. The purpose of the garden is to grow food for local low income families in need.
Moringa Oleifera on Foodista




Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

nfmgirl said...

When I bought my home last year, I started trying to identify the plants and trees I had taken on. One in the back has been identified as a Moringa. Fascinating tree.

BTW, I live in Cape Coral, which is part of the Fort Myers metropolitan area. I haven't made it to ECHO yet. I missed their annual event last month. Shoot!

Aquarian Bath said...

How wonderful you have Moringa trees on your property. I hope you can make it to their annual event next year. I would love to do that too. :)

Anonymous said...

If anyone is interested in taking advantage of this wonderful tree, Zija makes an excellent drink. Check out my website at drinkhealthy.myzija.com

Jon

Hephzibah-Ene Anderson said...

I have Moringa trees as a life fence around my home. I am also cutlivating some in pots and processing them in to powder and helping to spread its nutritional benefits.

I am also raising seedlings and have seeds to sell.I have Moringa leaf powder, available, well labelled with laboratory certification of nutritional values and analyses. Please contact me for bulk and retail sales. Visit our website at www.moringamama.com. I was a former ECHO student and a volunteer and got my seed and cuttings from there. Moringa Mama raises organic Moringa, free from fertilizers.
We have received so many testimonials from our clients all over the country, and globally. We have started Moringa farm in Fermanthe in Haiti, to help allevite malnutrition and hunger and also to establish sustainable life skill in farming working with Moringa.Visist our Non profit website at www.globalpassionmission.org.

said...

Just wanted to say awesome post. Its funny because, I just planted a few Moringa seeds that I got from ECHO. I live in Sarasota and have been there many times. Most people don't have a clue what these great trees are.

FL Urban Hydroponics said...

Hello,
I have been looking on where to get a moringa tree, or seeds. Im thinking about experimenting with a soil-less medium (hydroponics) to get this tree started.

Would you happen to know where in Central Florida I can find them and how much they are?

Im a little broke (real broke) so if I can come steal a cutting from your tree, that would be awesome :)

Thanks!

Aquarian Bath said...

I usually get seed from echo bookstore online . Fort Myers based garden. My brother might still be giving away seed in the Moringa oleifera facebook group. You can check that out. I can probably make you cuttings from the fair share garden in Daytona. I need to check if we have enough woody growth though. They dont start from green cuttings.

corysu @ gmail.com

Aquarian Bath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.