Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wild Bird Rescue and Turtle Day this Saturday at Ponce Inlet

Last week my neighbor found this baby bird in his yard that had been attacked by one of his cats. He asked me if I would take care of it, so I said I would give it a try. My friend Teri who has bird rescue experience advised me to get it to a professional bird rehaber ASAP, because cat attacks always become infected in birds. I searched online for the closest rehab facility and found that it was at Ponce Inlet's Marine Science Center. I love the Marine Science Center. They have a great Aquarium, and like all Marine Science Centers, it reminds me of my fun filled former life in Biology when I was studying Marine Science and living at Friday Harbor Labs in the San Juans. I was very happy that the center was willing to take the bird, because I know their focus is Marine birds, hawks, etc. I had no idea what this bird was, but the woman who was working let me know that it was a baby Mourning Dove that we had rescued. Moira and I were able to see a couple of rescued Pelicans while we were there dropping off the bird.



We were not able to stay until 10 am to check out all the birds, since we had to get Moira to play rehearsal, but I found out that the annual Turtle Day is this Saturday, April 17th. "Turtle Day is a celebration of bird and turtle rehabilitation in Volusia County. As of March 2010, the MSC received 622 juvenile to adult size sea turtles, 13,971 hatchlings and washbacks, and 738 miscellaneous reptiles (gopher tortoises, freshwater turtles and a snake), bringing total number of reptiles received by the Marine Science Center to 15,331 since it opened in 2002." Admission is free for Turtle day which starts at 10 a.m. and ends with wild marine birds and turtles release at 3 p.m. We will be there for the animal releases.






Bookmark and Share

No comments: