Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coral Castle: Megaliths in Paradise



I am just home from a short trip to Miami and Homestead, Florida, where we visited the Coral Castle. The Coral Castle is the life work of Ed Leedskalnin, who worked secretly to build this monument to his lost love. The castle was made with limestone megalithic stones, the largest of which were bigger than those used to construct the Great Pyramid of Giza. Ed said that he had "discovered the secrets of the pyramids."



The crescent moon on the bottom right of the above photo is one of two crescents behind the moon pool pictured below.



Moira in the reclining megalith. One of the many chairs found in the castle.



Do you think I could resist the baby chair?


Tessa had to try is out.



Moira exploring the grounds.



Billy Idol's song "Sweet Sixteen" was inspired by the coral castle.


Ancient Animals


Plants find a home among the stones.

Thanks for looking at my pictures! Now I need to get back to work! I have much to do to get my holiday inventory ready and am preparing for Hallogreen this coming Saturday!

3 comments:

Athena's Armoury said...

Very cool. I didn't even know that existed. It's beautiful.

Aquarian Bath said...

I hadn't either, but my husband has been wanting to see it for quite a while now.

Pen and Paperie said...

I've heard of this place - my dad grew up in Miami - but I've never been. It looks fascinating!