Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I think I'm going to cry when Okra season is over.



I never thought I would be the person who wanted okra for breakfast lunch and dinner, but that is where I am right now. Luckily I have been able to have it about once a day for the past few weeks. We have a few long rows of okra at the Fair Share Garden where Joel Tippens is encouraging us to sneak up on the okra.



Okra is a flowering Hibiscus, which is a member of the mallow family. It is native to West Africa and an important plant for tropical homesteading.

To prepare it I slice the smaller sized okra fruits. If the the fruits are over 5 inches long or so they tend to get pithy and fibrous, but the seeds are still edible. I fry about 3 cups of sliced okra and seeds in 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of hot pepper apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce.



This tastes so much better to me than the breaded and deep fried okra that you find often in the southern buffets.



Do you have a favorite okra recipe or vegetable recipe to share? This simple recipe along with others will be included in a Fair Share Garden cook book that we are creating as a fundraiser for Fair Share. If you have a good vegetable recipe you can post it in the comments section or email it to me directly at aquarianbath@gmail.com.

Okra on Foodista




Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sadly I have never had okra that did not feel like you were eating cotton balls- in fact I am shivering as a write this -but you may have convinced me to try again!
Karen

Aquarian Bath said...

Cotton huh? I haven't heard that one before. Usually people complain that they are slimy. The bigger ones are not so slimy though.

Beth Howard said...

Mmmmm... now I want fried okra. But, I admit, I want the breaded crispy kind, fresh out of the oil. Yummy!

Luthien Thye said...

oh... i love okra too! in curry!! yummy! i can eat okra and bitter gourd everyday ;)