Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Librivox Free Audio Book Selections


One if the things I miss with having a new baby is having time to read. Especially while I was pregnant and resting post partum I read a lot of good books.  My new solution to getting my literature fix is Librivox.  All the books are read by volunteers and are in the public domain. I'm currently in chapter 31 of Jane Eyre. I like having it on in the background when I'm nursing or doing housework or working online. You can check it out Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë here:

Here are some others good choices from the books that I read while I was pregnant or recovering.  Some of these I will be "reading" again on Librivox. Three of a kind Anna Karenina, Madame Bovary, and The Awakening are all related to each other in following the life of married woman and their extra marital romances, and well I won't spoil the endings for you. ;).

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 1877


Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert 1857
 

The Awakening by Kate Chopin 1899


First Love by Ivan Turgeniv 1860


Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 1847


I couldn't find The Songs of Distant Earth 1986 by Arthur C. Clark which I also read and enjoyed after Tessa was born, but I did find Childhood's End, which I think I will check out next on Librivox:


Let me know if you find something good in the Librivox audio archive that you think I should 'read' next.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Life Is A Lark said...

Thanks for introducing me to Librivox. I listen to audiobooks from the library while crafting and am very excited to check out this amazing, free source!

Aquarian Bath said...

I'm so happy to introduce you! Let me know what you find that you like. I just started Pride and Prejudice today.