Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Holy Basil Collection


I've been growing Vana Tulsi, also known as Holy Basil, for a number of years now here in Daytona Beach.  It self-sows in the garden and it very well adapted.  I thought I had lost it this year after the hard freezes, but even after the first new basils came up and froze to death, there were more to follow later on that survived.  The new leaves are very tender and have an anise like flavor.  I love to pick them an eat them fresh.  When I have excess I make Holy Basil honey or Tincture with it.  Vana Tulsi is also known as wild Holy Basil, or the species Ocimum gratissimum.


I'm really excited to have the other varies of Holy Basil growing, above is Ocimum sanctum also known as Rama Tulsi.  And below is the purple variety of Ocimum sactum known as Krishna Tulsi.  I haven't really even tasted these new babies yet.  I just want to collect the seed from them so that I will have better adapted plants for the next generation.  These two sets of mother plants do no grow as vigorously as my Vana Tulsi, which is probably around 4th generation at this point if not older. 


Are you growing Holy Basil? What type? Do you have a favorite? I would love to know. Please leave your comments.


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

navinpigeon said...

I have a large pack of Shyam tulsi (purple tusi) seeds and have started a few seeds and got one seedling out of the 5 seeds i had started. so far my favourite tulsi is shyam (krishna)!