Monday, March 15, 2010

New Sewing Project: a Little Break from Soap


I love my sewing machine, but it is really hard for me to transition among the various crafts that I like to do. In addition to soap and salve making, I also like to sew and make jewelry. Lately my sewing machine has gotten a fair bit of use. In addition to working on a custom design for a medical eye and TMJ pillow, I have also been designing and making baby diapers. Here is was my first version:


These diapers are made with a the fleece liner anchored to the inner flanner layer but not the outer flannel layer of the diaper of the diaper. This is to give the liner a chance to absorb the pee that moves quickly through the stitched inner layer. For the first version I did a straight stitch around the edges and double zig-zag, since I don't have a serger for overlock stitching. I'm very excited that my friend plans to give me her Serger after discussing these dipes together. I had the feeling like the dipes would hold with the double zig-zag, but I just didn't like the look of it.

Here is version 2. For this version I made an extra step or two so that the rough edges would be on the inside of the dipe.


I sent my pattern and instructions for version 3 to my mom who is a wonderful lady and is also an resourceful at collecting fabrics. It turns out she has yards and yards cute kid flannels, so I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with. She is responsible for giving me many of the fun fabrics that I use to make my microwavable flax neck wraps like these:





Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Nesting is so much fun. It was long ago for me but I remember it fondly. I got my love of sewing from my Mom too.

Susie Q said...

Now, what is a TMJ pillow? Sounds interesting

Aquarian Bath said...

Hi Susie,

They are eye pillows that also cover the masseter muscle and tmperomandibular joint.