Sunday, November 1, 2009

How Was Your Halloween? Sharing my Day at the Hallowgreen Festival



I spent the morning at the Hallowgreen event in Daytona Beach, which was a fundraiser for the Fair Share Garden. There were a number of workshops, trick or treaters and vendors at the event. It was an early morning as we were setting up in conjunction with the regular City Island Saturday farmer's market. My intention was to be awake at 5:45 a.m. and set up by 7 a.m. When I woke up and sat down at the computer the clock read 7:04 a.m. OOPS!! Scott accidentally turned off the alarm that he set for me. Half awake, I headed out for the market with out my bag of items for my workshop on home remedies for cold and flu. Luckily I chose a recipe to demonstrate which consisted of simple ingredients available at the farmer's market: garlic and honey. I picked up the garlic from one of the produce vendors and wild flower honey and a small jar of gourmet pickled okra from Ms. Ocie and I was all set. I knew I could count on the dedicated fair share volunteers to help me finish off the jar of pickles so I would have an empty pint jar for my demo.



Filling up the jar with honey: garlic is helpful for resolving colds, coughs, sore throats, and sinus infections. If you would like to make some garlic honey for cold and flu season you can find the full method in a former blog post.



Dana Venrick of the Volusia Flagler Cooperative Extension Service and Joel Tippens of the Fair Share Urban Garden Project gave an introduction to organic gardening at Hallowgreen.



Dana introduced everyone to the various organic supplements for the garden. One of which was Azomite. This is a mineral rich volcanic ash which we use at the garden. It is pictured below among the other items.


Rich organic soil hand mixed by Joel Tippes of Fair Share.


Chicken mother got my vote for best costume.


Here we are: chicken child, chicken mom, pouty ballerina, and I enjoying our pretzel cigarettes. Like my pumpkin arm paint? That has lingered in the form of pumpkin tan lines.


Meet two of the hand crafting vendors:

Michelle Davidson of Daytona Beach with her son Isaac. Michelle is a talented artist who makes fused glass jewelry and a wide range of fine art. Check out her fine art America website. I'm the proud owner of some of Michelle's fused pendants.


Crystal Calhoun is the owner at Stars and Crossbones and a member of the Florida Etsy Street Team. Crystal spins yarn and makes beautiful scarves and her partner Brian makes chainmaille jewelry. See the pretty green linen scarf being fingered in the picture below? It didn't stay on the table long before it was snapped up by a happy customer.





Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

It looks like a fun time was had by all! I hope many came away edified.

Love,

Marqueta

Silver said...

I was wondering why you were late. ;) It was a lovely morning, though, wasn't it? Nice weather.

And BTW, it's Brian who makes the chain maille ... Gotta give the first mate proper credit. ;D

It was awesome seeing you in person, too. I'll have to do more shows over there — and then I'll never run out of soap, either!

Pogostemon said...

Sounds like a great day. I'd have definitely helped you to finish the pickles. I never yet found out how many of those I can eat - same with olives ;-)
xxx

Aquarian Bath said...

Crystal! Great having you in Daytona. I edited the post to include that Brian is the chain maille artisan.

Athena's Armoury said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Patsy said...

oh geez I just now caught the chicken mom post and pics...oophs and its past Thanksgiving....That was a fun day! Well Organized Eventful Day!