Thursday, October 29, 2009

Delicate Little Beauties: My First Moringa Flowers



This is my second year growing Moringa oleifera trees, but the first year they have bloomed. If you are not familiar with Moringa, it is a highly nutritive tree, which has the highest protein concentration of any known plant. It is also very easy to digest. Since they did not bloom last year and I was harvesting a good amount of leaves I decided to just let them go over the summer and see if we got any flowers. So here are the first blooms from one of the trees at the Fair Share Garden. I am hoping that we will end up with many seeds to share. All parts of the plant have a variety of culinary and medicinal uses. The most interesting use I have found though is water purification using the seeds. In Natural Medicine in the Tropics Treatments Dr. Hans Martin Hirt gives a complete method for river water purification. About 10 crushed seeds (2 grams of seed) is needed to purify 20 litres of water. The Moringa seed binds the fine particles and bacteria and removes 90- 99.9% of bacteria. The purification can actually be done also with seed that has already been pressed for its oil. Moringa oil has a long shelf life and can be used in cooking, soap making, and as a base for cosmetics.



Moringa Oleifera on Foodista




Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

That is very fascinating! I'd never heard of it before. I hope you get a good harvest going soon.

Love,

Marqueta

Aquarian Bath said...

Thanks Marqueta! Happy to introduce you to this marvelous plant.

Comfrey Cottages said...

oh cory, thank you so much for introducing me to this plant:) just amazing:)as a vegetarian i find this plant intriguing also. you said your mom had success germinating it in a northern climate, well i might just to find room for this and introduce others to it!wonderful pictures and great links for seeds, etc. i joined the facebook page also, just so i can keep learning about it:)

Moringa Seeds Supplier said...

Interesting !!!

Moringa Leaf Powder,
http://www.agf-moringa.com

Unknown said...

Moringa is the one product which I known to be useful in daily life and people use it for their business. I tried to grow moringa plant in my garden but the weather condition was not suitable so it didn’t. There are various things I like about its totally natural healing things which made it unique in its own terms.
Moringa