Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nature Walk Along the Hood Canal

My mom and daughter and I took a walk along the Hood Canal earlier this week at Kitsap Memorial Park. It was pretty cold, but that didn't stop us from having a good time. The hood canal bridge is closed this month for repairs. Here is the foot ferry leaving Lowfall headed toward Shine. My uncle quite fortuitously and just recently purchased a water front lot next to the ferry. The state is now paying him a monthly rental fee for use of the lot for parking. Yay for Lou.



I was really hoping that my daughter would find something that caught her interest, and she did indeed. She forgot the cold for a good long while after my mom wisely suggested that we turn over some rocks to see what we could find. With each rock she turned over she squealed "LOOOOOK! A CRABBBBBB!" She wanted to turn over every rock even as she was shivering with every step back towards the parking lot.


Baby Dungess crab with Limpets, Barnacles and Algae. I used to know the names of all these Sea Weeds and invertebrates. It's been way to long since I studied Marine Biology in Friday Harbor. It's nice to know that my girl has the same enthusiasm that I have for marine life. Maybe I will relearn everything with her later on.

2 comments:

nfmgirl said...

I lived on the Kitsap Peninsula for four years. Loved it. Now I live in South Florida. What a world of difference, but this is where I grew up.

Aquarian Bath said...

I might be singing a different tune if I had come in December. I think snow bird is the life for me. :)