Sunday, September 20, 2015

These Zero Waste Soaps Helped Us Cut Back on Oil Waste


I saw an article a while ago on our #PlasticFree Living Daily Paper.li about using waste oil from restaurants for making soaps. It gave me the idea to put together all the old oil scrap material we have here and turn it into soap. I used oil from retail samples of salves and balms, test batches of lotion bars and body butter, and some random oils that we acquired that we don't actually use in our products, for example, a very pungent mustard seed oil. After weighing and melting down the oils, I estimated the percentage of various oils and calculated my best guess at the amount of lye to use to convert them to soap. Four weeks later, her we have nine fairly ugly soaps, but very functional with mild lather. They smell a bit oddly of spicy and pungent Jasmine, but they work! I have been using small pieces from this batch to wash dishes with our Zero Waste Soap Savers. I'm not sure where these bars are headed, maybe freecycle or the local church's food pantry. If anyone wants one as a freebie with their US order, let me know ASAP.
Post a Comment