Thursday, October 2, 2014

Yes, I can.. fasting for climate action while making applesauce

I survived my first Fast for the Climate action yesterday.  I am so glad that the next two fasting days do not fall on a Wednesday. On Wednesdays I take in 3 or 4 boxes of produce from Front Porch Pickings.  I trade our soap with them in exchange for vegetables, honey and jam. I woke up yesterday morning and was a bit hungry until around 11, but then that faded as I started drinking oatstraw and green tea infusion. I packed a few orders and fiddled around in my office a bit.  The main morning accomplishment was getting our petition to Ebay mailed out. Nearly 500 of us have asked Ebay to stop recommending bubble wrap to sellers. Then the produce delivery arrived. I started peeling about 15 pounds of apples with my new-to-me vintage apple corer slicers. Then I cut up about 5 pounds of tiny hard plums with the help of my eldest girl Moira. I had to sit down for a bit, because I was getting tired at that point so we took turns.  I really wanted to taste the applesauce, but I left it to her and Scott to decide on the right amount of cinnamon. I made it through the canning process pretty well, cleaned up the kitchen. After that I was just restless for the remainder of the day and evening. I usually ship orders during the non holiday season on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I was concerned that I would run out of energy if I packed all my orders and did canning and food intake during fasting, so to be careful I packed two mail bins of orders on Tuesday afternoon instead of Wednesday. Without my regular Wednesday schedule I just was restless sitting around admiring all the produce and lovely jars of applesauce. I tried sewing flax pillow sleeves  for a bit, but I was too restless and didn't trust my stitching so I stopped. It was much easier fasting last week when I decided spontaneously to fast rather than planning it out.  My fast last week was 42 hours, which in retrospect was a bit silly, but I wanted to see how far I could take it. I felt really kind of ridiculous fasting surrounded by so much food yesterday. I feel like I still have a lot to learn about fasting as a method of activism. I found it harder to fast on a specific schedule than the 42 hour spontaneous fast that I did last week when I signed up for the action. During that time I was just giving it a try with no expectations and no feeling of pressure. It was harder knowing that I was doing a group action with a specific purpose.

Today I really enjoyed a nice salad, okra pickles, garlic bread, and of course the applesauce that I make during the fat.  Maybe you will too.  Here is the recipe:

Applesauce with plums

16 pounds apples
5 pounds plums
3 Tablespoons Organic Cinnamon
1 cup purified water

Peel and cut the apples into small pieces. Cut up plums into small pieces. Add them all to a stock pot with cinnamon and 1 cup of water. Cook down the the fruit on medium low heat until only medium sized chunks are left. Use a stick blender to blend it up until it is just how you like it. Fill up 7 previously boiled quart size mason jars with applesauce leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Clean the lid rim. Add lids and rings. Boil jars under 2 inches of water for 20 minutes at sea level.  Adjust time as necessary according to your altitude. Shelf life is 1 year.
Post a Comment