Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Path of Peace: New Garden Bed and Garden Greens



We finally started planting and cutting back dead growth at Fair Share yesterday. Here is the new peace sign lettuce bed that was planted. This bed was started months and months ago with a truck load of Sargassum seaweed collected from the beach. It rotted down nicely and the soil is very dark and rich here.



The lovely winter hardy fennel is looking lush and undisturbed by January freezes.


We had a huge crowd of people at the garden. I guess people are happy to be out and about now that it has warmed up here. Luckily there was a lot of work to do. I may have to start thinking ahead though. A lot of people were asking me what to do next. Besides cutting back the dead plant material I started a lot of seeds in pots or direct sown into the raised beds. Some of the seeds that I started yesterday included Red clover, Rama Tulsi, Krishna Tulsi, Parsley, Lemon Eucalyptus, Tropical Tomato from Echo, watermelon, Agrimony. The kids also planted one of the raised beds with butter nut squash seeds that I had saved.


Arugala or Salad? Salad or Arugala? Or is it both? This was the big question about this flowering plant in the herb spiral. Well I think the answer is both. It grew up in the spiral underneath where the planted Arugala had gone to seed last year. And yes, this was quite near the 'Mesclun salad mix' bed that one of our volunteers planted, but Arugala is also a part of Mesclun salad, so I think the answer is both. I still think the Arugala is from volunteer seedlings from the mother Arugala plant, not just misplaced seeds from the salad bed.






Bookmark and Share

No comments: